About the local governing body
Orchard Park High School is part of the Greenshaw Learning Trust. The Greenshaw Learning Trust is a charitable company, limited by guarantee, with the sole purpose of maintaining and developing academy schools to provide comprehensive and inclusive education for the public benefit. You can find out more out the governance of the Trust and all its schools, including details of its scheme of delegation, here.
The local governing body is responsible for the strategic leadership of the school, for the school’s financial and academic performance, and for holding the headteacher to account.
Governors act collectively as the local governing body, exercising their powers in a primarily strategic leadership role; they should not get involved in the day-to-day running of the school.
Governors adopted a ‘flat governing body’ structure at its Annual meeting on 7 September 2017. This essentially means that the governing body no longer has the two main standing committees it had previously, and instead all items that would have been delegated to those committees are now considered by the governing body as a whole.
As well as attending local governing body meetings, governors are expected to engage in appropriate governor and school activities including visiting the school regularly. Governors also serve on various panels that decide on specific matters such as grievances, complaints and staff appointments.
The local governing body generally meets six times a year.
Governors are appointed in a number of different ways:
- Trust governors are appointed by the Board of Trustees.
- Parent governors are elected by ballot of all parents and carers of current students.
- Community Governor – is a person appointed by the local governing body to reflect its community and stakeholders.
- Staff governors - a staff governor must be a person employed in that capacity by the Academy, and will cease to be a governor if they cease to work for the academy; teaching staff governors are appointed by the governing body following a secret ballot of all teaching staff; non-teaching staff governors are appointed by the local governing body following a secret ballot of all non-teaching staff.
- The headteacher is a governor ex-officio.
Chair of Governors – Mr Trevor Fitzgerald
For further information, contact the Clerk to the Local Governing Body, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to be considered for a position as a governor at Orchard Park High school, please complete the application form and equalities monitoring form on the Greenshaw Learning Trust website here.